Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shakey start-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
Hi,

I am getting Fatal Exception and Protection Faults, whenever I start or restart Windows.

How can I find a site or get a list of what the numbers mean (example- 015F:BFF9DBA7)? Also one that can tell me how to fix the problem.

With the General Protection faults, how do I find the replacement or repair programs? Some of them are the, User.exe, kernel and Explorer.

I'm no expert, but either step by step or a site with step by steps instructions are welcome.

thanks

If this is a new machine then I would be looking at the memory as a starting point.
Idealy replace with some you know is good.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks,

Any way to test the memory? I don't have any extra's and it's not a new machine. I have a laptop running Win98 1st Ed.

Is there also a site where I can get an interpetation of the GP (gerneral protection) and FE (fatal errors) message codes?

Can I try to replace the programs that tend to fail most often? They are User.exe, Explorer.exe and Kernel32.

Thanks for your time

Try these two links

This webpage (gateway support) answers an FATAL OE and applies to most OE errors in WIN98 & WIN98SE

This is a direct link to the OEPATCH
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/gw-sold_ms-apps/win_98/fataloepatch.exe

This Site below provides a 30 day free program that fixes errors and crash problems worthwhile surfing the site first'

The direct link to the download is

Good Luck
ROBUCK

Thanks Folks,

I stubbled upon Windows online help library. There I found a way of diagnosing the shakey system problem.

I started with the Msconfig and used the cold boot method and that reduced the number of OE errors.

I kinda of learned through reading that this faults can occur because of various programs causing page faults. Re-instaling the offending programs seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks to all who comtributed help to my call for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back