Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SGI O2 networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have SGI O2 with IRIX Release 6.5.
Earlier it used to work ok with our organisation LAN. Now it has developed some problems. When I try to ping from SGI to other unix based server(Data General's AViiON), I get the following error message:
Ping: sendto : Host is down

My settings are as following...

Primary Network Interface : Enable
Default Route: None
IP Forwarding: Disable
DNS Name Server: None
Host Resolution Order: Files DNS None
Turn off NIS
Turn off NFS
IP Address: 128.100.5.244
Default netmask: 0xffff0000

I have entered hosts name(whom i want to connect) and IP address in /etc/hosts and it can be verified through Host manager.

When i tried to put my SGI on a separate 8 port hub and tried to ping this machine from other PCs connected to same hub, i was succesfull and i could work in SGI through TELNET. But in the main LAN it is not working.

Please help me. thanks.

If you have not changed anything in sgi system ask your network administrator for
changes in network (routers, firewalls etc) that may cause the problem.
Can you ping any address? If you have problems only with this host, try command 'traceroute hostname' to see how far you can go.

hi,

the possible problem can be with your network plug. for windows machine they are configured for autonegotiation, but in case of irix the network plug has to be manually setup.
ask the network admin to setup this plug to suit irix. take the details from him/her and compare this with the details in the file /var/sysgen/master.d/if_ef

hope this helps
Thief................ ::)
(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

I've used auto negotiation succesfully with O2/IRIX 6.5. The settings can be checked by ifconfig -va (O2 has a PROM variable to the interface speed and mode).

One reason for dead network interface can be the network cable plug (RJ45). In some O2 system boards there is not enough space for large (isolated) plug. It seems to fit in place but actually it does not click in properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back