Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SG-MVP3A5 Motherboard. Which is the L2 cache chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarBot

MIS
Dec 25, 2002
AU
I use the computer with the SG-MVP3A5 motherboard (VIA MVP3 chipset)as a file and print server on my home network (3 PCs). It's just got real slow (it was adequate before) and I find that it reports NO L2 cache. Please let me know which one is the cache IC and what I can do to fix the prob without buying a new motherboard.

Many thanks,
GarBot

Everything I can find about this board is in Russian. I take it you dont have the manual.... The L2 cache chip(s) are soldered to the board, very tricky to replace even if you can find a replacement. I think you could find someone to do it for you but it would probably cost more than buying a new board.
One thing to try would be to disable the L2 cache in the bios. this might (and I do mean might) speed things up a touch if your comp. is looking for the cache but can't find it cause its bad. I had a similar board where the L2 cache went bad but it wouldn't even boot until I disabled the cache in the bios. after that it worked fine although it was a bit slower.
hope this is helpfull. If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Many thanks for that RocKeRFelLerZ.
I went through the same ... had to disable the cache to start it booting. Then after a few times, thought I'd get lucky.
Enabled the cache again. This time it booted and reported no cache, with much the same response as disabling the cache.
Yeah, I've got to get another MoBo but to quote the missus "If you spend any more on those damned computers ....". Oh well, divorce is an option .. :)
Thanks again,
GarBot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back