Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SFUN32.EXE (What is it)? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich224422

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
I fully expect to hear from my old friend across the pond (James33) on this one. I have been away a long time but still value this site immensely. I am a SK* user since 1993.

Question/Problem: I see SFUN32.EXE (ALL CAPS) in my SK 98 files in the Program File. I am not sure what it is, what it does. A check on the internet was not too helpful either. The file has a date of 8/4/1997 which puts it in the same era as the rest of the SK files for SK98. It has 24,576k and says it is an uninstaller. That, right there, is enough to get me to stop and ask before acting.

I found need to examine my SK files as several came up in an extensive CHKDSK exam of the computer as "Orphans." All of these were numerical files with the extention .skw. An example is:
~3710INIT.SKW.

Everything is probably fine and I may be overly cautious but would like to know more about the SFUN32.EXE file. I checked the FAQs and did a search but found nothing on the file. That, in itself, is very surprising given the amount of SK queries over the years on every subject imaginable.

Running WXP PRO, All service packs, updates, etc. Toshiba laptop hot rod.

Anyone have comment on this thing?

MANY THANKS ALL!!!

Dear Rich224422,

Nice to hear from you again, but where is that sense of fun and the ability to live dangerously!

I found out what it is by double clicking on it and it offered to uninstall Sidekick which I indicated I didn't want it to do, so there you are problem solved!

Take care and look after yourself

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Dear Rich224422,

The init files are orphans as they were old versions of the Sidekick.init file and I would imagine they are from times when sidekick didn't load so move them somewhere else and see if anything happens and if it doesn't just delete them.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Thanks James:

I moved the ~* files and nothing happened. So...as suggested I lived dangerously and deleted same.

I take it there is still no good program replacing SK 98 +(all the other versions) and there has been no fix found for the date forwarding thing in tasks.(?) I now use MS Office 03 (Yuck) for reminders, etc. in Outlook's calendar.

All in all, it is amazing how much I still go back to the SK programs with the 17+ years of contacts/files/data that I have there.

Very nice to hear from you.

Your Friend in the "Colonies", Rich

Wow, thanks Rich you gave me a Star.
I had almost forgotten those existed I haven't had one from anyone for ages...

Enough sarcasm as no-one else will read this thread except you and me and well I don't do it for the stars do I?

Check out my website (The only one left as the server for the other one went bust)

Take Care and Regards

Jim

Wow, and now I have 2, I wonder who gave me that!
Life is just a bowl of cherries.......
Good luck all

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back