Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SFTP/FTPS FTP Subsystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfreeze

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
US
Has anyone had any experience or success in changing the 'ftp subsystem' on your system?

An example of this would be users that authenticate using FTPS use the ProFTPd server. Users that authenticate using SFTP use the 'ftp subsystem' specified by the system. (Since I guess that SFTP users authenticate via SSH)

This is further evidenced by the fact that files uploaded via SFTP are not even logged in the same file as ones uploaded via FTPS.

What I want to do is have both protocols use the ProFTPd server.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Regards,
Mark.

The communication between SSH and its subsystems uses a bespoke protocol, so I doubt you will be able to plug a secure FTP backend into it without a lot of manipulation. I think the simplest solution for you would be to disable the SSH FTP subsystem completely (or for a specific set of users) to enforce usage of ProFTPd.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back