Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sfc/ Examples of when to use this please

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Hi,
been updating my Xp knowledge and found a command Im not familiar with... I checked the knowledge base for sfc/ scannow and of course itgave me the answerbut what Im looking for are examples as to when to use this command?

"System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents. "

thanks

Your comments are always appreciated

I learn, therefore I can
---------------------
Steve F
MCSE/CCNA HSE Tech

As a rule of thumb use it when unexplained errors begin happening on your computer. Often these may be because of System File corruption.

At any point in time when due to desperation you are thinking of reinstalling (repairing) XP try using SFC before you try the reinstall.

SFC writes its log results in the Event Viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back