Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Several times same SQL db name in system DSN drop-down menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

natha

Programmer
Nov 23, 2001
BE
I am setting up SQL Server ODBC connections on several machines on our network for "adp" front-end.

But when I go to choose the server I want to connect to from the server drop down list, I got two or even three server names e.g.:"COMPANYSERV", "CompanyServ" and "CompanyServer".

We have only one SQL server located on machine named "COMPANYSERV", and we didn't change the machine name.

I want to get rid of them, because depending on what name I choose I can or can not change the Client Configuration (Connection Parameters, Port Number, ...). It simply refuses to save the new settings.

I have administrator's rights.

Where are those names coming from? It must be old names.

I appreciate if anyone can help.

Because I don't know of any other mean to connect adp to SQL server.

I would be glad to learn about other alternative(s), please.

When you go into the Access adp application from design mode, did you orginally connect to the sql server database under the File menu option using Connection. This connection dialog box should expose the sql server engines on your network. Can you explain how you setup your original connection.

First I connect adp to SQL under File > Connection etc..., and then I setup a system DSN using SQL Server driver.

The system DSN setup is time consuming since this has to happen on each client machine individualy.

Is that correct? Is the system data source needed to get an adp connect to SQL? Is adp connecting to SQL with ODBC at all?

I think I lack some basic comprehension in the matter.

Thanx.

The default connection to sql server from an access project is through OLE-DB and does not use ODBC. You should be able to copy the adp file to an users PC and it should just run as long as it can find the sql server on the network and there is some version of MDAC installed on the PC. MDAC comes with the Windows 2000 OS but may need to be installed on Win98 or older versions of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back