Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Several Power up attempts before boot up on a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyagu

MIS
Jul 11, 2003
IE
I have a problem with this PC. When it is powered, system comes on including the fans and everything but will not boot and there'll be a 'no input signal' display on the display unit. When I power off and try again over and over agiain, it will boot and begin to work properly. The number of attempts vary, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4.

I have checked memory and everything seems okay. I have checked power unit and it seems okay.

Please help me with this. Has anyone experienced this?

Hey, I have this same problem with my computer, sometimes the number of tries go into the teens before it will boot. Unfortunately all I can say is you're not alone! I haven't found an answer to this problem. I suspect the motherboard & the power supply combo, but I don't have any good data to back that up.

In my past experience, this issue is in the power supply. It is one sign of one going out.
Does the machine ever reset on it's own after it has been on for a while?

Good luck, and Happy Computing

If there is auxiliary power, and the fans start up but you have no post (Power On Self Test), the problem is probably with your processor or motherboard (or both). Try disconnecting all the cabels from your hard drive(s), floppy(s) and CD-ROM/DVD/CDRW(etc).

Disconnect all power to the drives, and plug the power in the CD-ROM (or DVD or CD-RW) and press eject. If the disk ejects okay, then you know that your power is fine and that your motherboard is more then likely okay, and the problem is with your Processor (more then likely). If it does not eject, the problem is more then likely with your motherboard (as you ARE getting aux power, but somewhere it is being blocked.

The Computer Wizard
Brookneal, VA 24528

This is typical of bad capasitors on the mobo, though it may also be the power supply. Take a close look at the tops of the capasitors on the mobo {the tall barrel shape things with a Y shaped perferation on the top). They should be flat on the tops. If they are crowned or burst then you will need a new mobo.

I have just built a celeron 2Ghz pc. I have loaded win2k onto it. All went well for about 2 days. The pc then started shutting itself down even though there was no activity on it, sometimes within an hour, sometimes only after about 8 hours. It also takes 3 or 4 attempts to reboot it, sometimes it is necessary to physically remove the plug from the power outlet as the reset switch does nothing to restart it and the power off button will not shut it down completely. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back