Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

several machines via internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citt1

MIS
Sep 17, 2003
US
Is it possible to choose which pc I connect to over the internet via pc anywhere and a router. My scenario is that I have several machines set up with pc anywhere and want to choose which one I connect to via a linklsys or d-link router.

Lastly, why does vpn make the connection so much better and is there one I could use that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thank you for any help.

Is it possible to choose which pc I connect to over the internet via pc anywhere and a router

why does vpn make the connection so much better
Access to your LAN is more secure than allowing raw connections to PCA. Also, if everything works correctly, you would be able to select different hosts simply by using the private IP of the host instead of messing with combinations of ports with your public IP. You should be able to do most things across the VPN that you do on the local network, although much slower.

is there one I could use that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Might already have what you need. Windows servers come with a VPN server. Windows XP, 2K, and NT also have a VPN server, although only one connection is allowed at a time. If you have a linux box, there are a couple of good options available for free. Many broadband routers also have a VPN server built in.

Client wise, free pptp clients are included with or available for W95 on up. Free clients are also available for linux.

Awesome, thank you so much. Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back