Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

trk1616b

MIS
May 25, 2005
US
I've included a 3rd party dll in my program. However, when I send the .exe I created in my project to another machine, it doesn't see the 3rd party dll and does not run. How can i incorporate the dll into my exe? Do I need to create some kind of setup file that includes it?

Thanks!

Yes, setup project.

So you make sure that all the dependencies will be detected and included in the project. The nesesary files can be dlls, other exe files, the framework, .net/com/web references ... etc

:)

Right click on the solution at the project explorer to add a new project -> setup amd deployment projects -> and at templates select setup wizard project.

step 3of5: check primary output, local.recources and content files.

setp 4of5: add any other file that the app uses...

At the file system tab there are listed 3 basic items. If you right click on the "file system on target machine" you can add some more folders.

Also do a right click at the setup project on the solution explorer...

It has many many options.... Ask for further info

Related dll's will be added automatically.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Note that the Framework redistributable will not be included. This is because in order for the setup package to run in the first place, the machine needs to have .Net installed.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Yes.

As you detect the dependencies, the framework will be listed in the solution explorer. When you build the seup project, a copy the redistributable will appear with the setup files; the exe, msi etc..

Double clicking the setup, first it will check the framework. Either you will be redirected to the url to download it or it will be installed directly. (if you include it). In the solution explorer where the needed files are listed, you can decide whether the framework will be retrieved from the net or just installed, because it will be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back