Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup Windows 2000 Server based Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Im working as a volunter in small charity organisation where i teach basic computer (MS Office; Webdesign, Photoshop) for elderly peoples. There are 10 machines with windows 2000 professional installed. I networked (peer to peer ) these computers 3 months ago. I have used ip address as 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Now last week we added one more pc where i have windows 2000 server installed, i assigned its ip address as 192.168.0.11 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. It automatically assigned DNS as 127.0.0.1, i dont no how?

Now i want to make this network a server based, so each user will have their own user accounts to login. I know how to setup Active directory but before setting up, is there anything i need to know, i have heard about dns server, as this is just a small network do i need a separate dns server?

Anybody there, can guide me please?

If you are going to use Active Directory then you will require DNS but it can be on the same server and Windows will offer to install it when you install AD. You will want to point DNS to 192.168.0.11 not 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back