Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setup w2k as a intranet using a .local dns name then forward to intern

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymisguy

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
I'm in the process of setting up a w2k server to be use as an intranet server.

My ques is that each time I install AD it says can't contact dns server then wants to set itself up as root
I know there is a way to setup w2k to use an internal dns then forwarder all other request my isp's dns

How do i set up AD and DNS to use CO.local as it's dns name.

"NOTHING BEATS A FAILURE BUT A TRY"

Im not sure that I follow you, but I'll try. Do you have Active Directory installed? If so you must already have a DNS server on your network. If you do not, and are trying to install AD then you will have to install DNS. AD needs DNS to function.

You can then setup forwarders to you ISP, and put an CName in the DNS for your Intranet Server.

Steve Hewitt

mymisguy,

I had a similar problem to yourself where our local intranet domain name was the same as our internet domain name up on the www.

Every time some one put in our name it went to the intranet rather than up on the internet.

To get round this, open up the DNS manager and go to your forward lookup zone. In there you should see the local domain name you have created. Right click on it and choose add host. In the name window put the address of your ISP in the IP window then click add host.

Now when you type in your browser you will automatically be directed to the internet rather than your local intranet. To get your intranet home page, miss-off the just use
Hope this helps...Andy.

mymisguy
*My ques is that each time I install AD it says can't contact dns server then wants to set itself up as root
I know there is a way to setup w2k to use an internal dns then forwarder all other request my isp's dns
The message that you are getting is just saying that you need a DNS server and it wants you to set up the DNS server on that computer. So unless you are running an internal DNS server already, then choose to create a root server.

*How do i set up AD and DNS to use CO.local as it's dns name.
When you set up AD it will ask you the name of your domain.
You would want to name yours as CO.local.
****Big note of warning****
It is very difficult to change this if you ever want to.
You may be better off creating your intitial domain as CO.
and then using a child domain of local.CO.

You guys are on the right track, what i did was to setup Ad first as follows

when AD asks for name of forward zone I enter homebase.local
forward zone then assigns dns name as homebase.local.dns
reverse zone= 1.168.192

But when i the run dcpromo and setup AD it asks for the name of the dns server which is homebase.local, AD then says cann't contact DNS server and wants to setup itself up as root.

I guessed that i should have selected setup manually.

"NOTHING BEATS A FAILURE BUT A TRY"

Why are you running DCPromo after you have already set up AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back