Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneil1

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
JM
I understand the concept of SSL but not the details. I would like to set up SSL on a directory of a web host but do not have a clue as to how to go about doing it. I don't have any idea as to even one line of code.

I need some help.

Well, I am trying to do this in my MS-W2K3 server and ran into a wall shortly after starting the process:

This is what godaddy.com provided as what to do:
Code:
Generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) - Apache 2.x
Follow the below instructions to generate a CSR for your Web site. When you have completed generating your CSR, cut/copy and paste it into the CSR field on the SSL certificate-request page.
CSR-Generation Instructions
To generate a triple-DES encrypted key pair and a Certificate Signing Request (CSR):
Enter the following commands:
i.	cd /usr/bin/ (/your path to openssl/)
Enter a passphrase when prompted to. 
ii.	openssl genrsa -des3 -out <name of your certificate>.key 1024 
iii.	openssl req -new -key <name of your certificate>.key -out <name of your certificate>.csr 
If you are requesting a Wildcard certificate, please add an asterisk (*) on the left side of the Common Name (e.g., "*.domainnamegoes.com" or "[URL unfurl="true"]www*.domainnamegoeshere.com").[/URL] This will secure all subdomains of the Common Name.

I get an error on the second command - To create the CSR file. I am reading through the httpd-ssl.conf file and it looks like I got my work cut-out for me.

I will come back here and post my findings ...

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back