Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup sendmail box as second MX record

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hello. I posted this as a reply to an old post. I thought I should start a new thread.
We have an exchange server setup as a primary email server with MX record level priority 5 with the name mail.domin.com, and an IP of lets say 192.168.0.1.
Also we have a SCO openserver 5.0.6 running sendmail 8.11, and setup as a secondary email server with MX record level priority 10 with the name email.domain.com and the IP of 192.168.0.2. Now the exchange server is down, but email is not going to or through the sendmail box. User names are setup, but the addresses now are user@email.domin.com.
My questions are, first:How do I get the sendmail box to start recieving email instead of the exchange box. DNS entries are already setup, both servers are on the same domain.Second: How do I make the address show up in the "from" field as user@domain.com instead of user@email.domin.com, so it matches the address on the excgange box.
I hope my post is clear enough, please help, it is urgent before my boss shoots me:~/

Hi Medcomp...wondering if you ever were able to solve this problem...I have a similar one and am wondering what my options are. Have a NT box with Exchange 5.5 and (MX 5) successfully receiving mail for a couple years now. Once in awhile I need to bring the server down for various types of maintenance, sometimes for a long enough period of time that mail gets bounced. So I want to setup a Linux/Sendmail machine (MX 10) to receive mail directed to our domain when the primary is down. I would like the Linux box to queue the mail, check for the primary’s availability, and then forward the mail to the primary when it is available again. Is Sendmail capable of this? And if so do you have a rough idea how it would be done. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back