Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup secure ftp server site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrant88

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
CA
Hello everyone

I'm interested in setting a secure ftp server website, on my windows 2003 server standard edition. All I'm looking for is to have a website where I let authorized users to upload/download files, some can be up to 500MB.

I vaguely know Windows 2003 has builtin ftp server but it's not secure, may be and all needed is some sort of security on top of this ftp server

Any links or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
TT

It's not the the FTP service in Windows 2003 IIS is insecure, it's that FTP in it's nature is an insecure protocal. FTP doesn't have any encryption, so if you run a packet sniffer you can see what is being uploaded.

However, it's true that the IIS FTP Service doesn't support SSL, thus you will require a 3rd party solution.

There's a mixture out there, some free, some not. I quite like the Serv-U FTP server. Very, very easy to setup and use and it's pretty well priced. (
Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Hello Steve

Thanks for the link, greatly appreciated

Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back