Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup second external IP on LAN with LinkSys Router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattxlr8

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
US
I have a cable modem and LinkSys router which provides internal IP addresses to all my other machines. I configure this with the one external IP provided by AT&T and it assigns 192.168.1.* addresses to the other machines.

I can use PC-Anywhere to access one machine in my office by telling it to route incoming requests to that workstation.

Now I need to allow PC-Anywhere to connect to two different workstations simultaneously. I purchsed a second "machine name" from AT&T. I need to configure a machine in my office with access to the LAN, internet access, and an external IP address which would be externally pingable.

Any ideas?

Matthew Brown

There are many different ways to hash this one out. Easiest IMHO is to put a hub/switch between the cable modem and the linksys. Connect the first machine to the linksys(no changes there) and connect the second machine to the hub/switch with the external ip. You may also want to put a second ethernet card into the second machine with a 192.168.1.x ip address so it can also talk to the internal network.

Since your second machine would not be behind the linksys it would need its own firewall or other security measures.

Linksys does not support two external IP addresses so something like this is what you will need to go to.

If this option doesn't work for you let me know. There are almost infinite ways of doing this.

Roger

Buy a second linksys with a hub between your cable modem and
you two linksys routers. Access to both systems and this maintains current firewall setup. Plus allows normal lan
traffic internally.

Special Configuration needed.
Linksys 1.
dhcp start at 192.168.1.100 ( this will serve 152 p.c.)
dhcp number of users 152

Linksys 2.
disable dhcp
lan address 192.168.1.2,3,4,5,6 one for each port.
assign a static internal ip to second p.c.
Ensure gateway for static ip's is linksys2.

Link both linksys together with crossover cable.

This way you have two external addresses,
152 p.c. 's with dhcp and up to 98 static.

The number provided are just a guide,
You may want to start dhcp at 192.168.1.10 for 8 static addresses.

Since I do not have to linksys to try this with,
You should check with linksys to ensure this would work.
Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back