Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup Problem, Win2k Advanced Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopHat2

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
GB
I am new to networking. I want to learn how to set up a server based network. I already have a peer to peer network with 4 Win2k Pro PC's.

I have just installed Win2k Advanced Server on on an Athlon T-Bird 1.1 GHz, with a 20 GB HDD partitioned with a 16.6 GB NTFS primary partition (C:), and a FAT 32 partition (D:) of 1.94 GB. Win2k Advanced Server is installed on the 16.6 GB NTFS primary partition. The installation was with default options except for installing "Management and Monitoring Tools". I am using a Realtech RTL81(A)Fast Eathernet Adaptor, which seems to have installed correctly. The IP address of the PC has been set 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS Server 192.168.0.1. The network cable is NOT connected yet. I am loging on as "administrator".

I am running into a problem with the "Configure Your Server" wizard. I set; This is the only server in my network > Next > Next, Domain Name = archimides, Doman Name type = local > Next > Next, (Components Wizard is configuring the components), then I get the following error:

"The opperation failed with the following error:
The network location cannot be reached. For more information [...] see Windows Help."

I have no clue as what "network location" the wizard is trying to reach, obviously, as the PC is not connected to anything, the only locations available are on the HDD.

After running the 'Configure Your Server' wizard my IP adress has been reset from 192.168.0.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 to 10.10.1.1, with a mask of 255.0.0.0.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some configuration I need to do before running the "Configure Your Server" wizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back