Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup hostname with multiple IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohdem

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
US
Hi,
I know just enough about DNS to get by, so please forgive me if this is a novice question. Our company has a firewall with 2 external IP's from 2 different ISPs. This provides redundancy to our internet users in case on of the ISPs has issues. We also have a webserver behind the firewall that the firewall routes web traffic too. I want the domain that we use for this webserver to point to both IP addresses in case on of them is down. I.E. Someone typing in to their browser....it will try 1 ip address, then the other if the first one does not work. Is this even possible to do with DNS? Our DNS is hosted by a web hosting provider, but I am able to make changes to it through a web interface.

Thanks!
Mike

You can have them both, but the browser will only try the first one...it has no provision for "retrying".

Generally, DNS servers can be configured to "round robin" so that it alternates which is first. The general problem is that if one ISP goes down, you are going to lose half your traffic! So now instead of being better connected, you now have to rely on both paths being up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back