Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup 460-24T-PWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignose21

Programmer
Jul 4, 2003
GB
I am a newbie to this so bear with me (Voice engineer not data). I have an old Baystack 460-24T-PWR that i was going to give to a church for their internal network. They currently have a normal home use linksys router providing a couple of wired ports and wireless. They want to expand the wired connections (Its a bit big for the job but its free) and if it is possible with this switch what is the bear minimum I would need to setup to allow devices plugged into the ports to be able to uplink to the router and get internet, DHCP etc. The switch has no uplink expansion module so is it possible to use one of the normal ports to provide this uplink?

Assuming you are just using it to add more ports to a single vlan/subnet off the router, then you can just leave it with default settings. Use any port to plug it into the router and any port to plug PC's into.

By default all ports are in a single vlan and set to auto-negociate so everything will be able to talk to each other.

I did think that and defaulted it. I tried a pc and it didn't get an address through dhcp. I added an iP to the switch and could ping and Web browse from the network on the router. Pc still not picking up an address . I will have another go on Monday.

Must be loosing the plot, defaulted again, added only an IP for the switch nothing else and plugged in PC worked fine.

Cheers andy88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back