Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setup 3 virtual machines running each 1 web application

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidchardonnet

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
FR
Hello,

I want to setup my home computer (Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) to run 3 different web applications, that i can access from outside my home. I only have 1 IP adress on my ADSL box.
I tried a default installation of Apache directly on my linux, and i can access it from outside with no problem.

After I broke my Apache/PHP/MYSQL configuration because of applications compability issues, i decided to set up VirtualBox on this machine, set up an Ubuntu server on 3 virtual machines, and install each application in these separate environments to avoid the application clash. These machine are in bridge mode, so they are considered as separate machines having their own IP address on the LAN.

Now i don't know how to publish these 3 machines on the same outside IP adress. Can you help me?

Thank you

David

davidchardonnet said:
Now i don't know how to publish these 3 machines on the same outside IP adress. Can you help me?

Given that domestic DSL modem/routers do not support hostname forwarding or reverse proxying, Port Forwarding is pretty much the only option, (unless you want to run a Cisco or a SonicWall router)

Unless you want to setup a fourth VM as a reverse proxy of course

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thank you ChrisHirst for your answer.

In fact, I had in mind something like the reverse proxy (thanks for the solution). Maybe I can install the reverse proxy directly on the Host machine and access the VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back