Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Windows firewall on a Call Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hi - I've got 2 CP systems running Windows Server 2003 Appliance edition w/ SP1. Versions are 4.4.4.12 & .30. One has all recent PEP's, and the other up through 8/2007. The one running 4.4.4.30 also helps run IVR prompts through Symposium Express.

These two CP's finally have their CLAN's hooked up, but they are now a security risk on our network. My manager nixed installing SP2 & McAfee in favor of enabling Windows firewall and just opening the needed ports.

I tried to enable Windows firewall, but got stopped because the ipnat.sys service was running. I found this article on Tech Republic to stop the service & enable the firewall (
But now I have some questions....

1) Should I even enable Windows firewall on a CP or is that a bad idea? (Should I be installing McAfee instead?)

2) If I can enable it, what port #'s should I leave open?

If any out there have done this, I'd appreciate some insight...

You need to install the latest peps including SP2 and all the security peps. This will take care of most threats except viruses. Remember that this is a non standard software and a lot of those so called security holes are shut off by the security peps so there is less of a threat than a normal server.

No I would not turn on windows firewall.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

also to add what tnphoneman is saying if you think the callpilot is at risk you need to do what NORTEL suggest
and that is a router between the callpilot server and your network and block broadcasting to that port on your network.
remember callpilot comes from NORTEL locked down so if
you open things up that is when trouble happens.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back