Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

canobe

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
MY
i am new to vpn, currently i trying to setting up a vpn between my home pc to my company system. is there any web site that teach how to set up a vpn and how to connect the network from the ground up. mostly what i searched is just a introduction

HI Canobe,
To answer your question you need to find out what kind of products would you like to implement for buildingup the vpn.The product range can be from SOHO ( linksys,netgear,smc) to more reliable solutions like cisco provides.If you are implementing cisco across the locations,i can always provide you the resources and help you out in my capacity.Generally the products for vpn by cisco will be routers,concentrators or firewalls like cisco pix.

thanks for the reply. actually i just want to try and experience with it. i am using analog modem 56kbps and planning to upgrade to adsl in the next few month. so can i still able to set up vpn with this analog modem?

Some dialup ISPs block the ports or protocols that are needed to create a VPN connection. Beyond that, there is no technical reason you could not establish a VPN connection over a dialup line. For what it's worth, a few broadband providers also block VPN connections, so if that is your main reason for getting the DSL, you may want to check first.

With the dialup, your connection will be slow, I wouldn't expect to browse your network over such a connection without getting frustrated. You should be able to use a remote desktop app or a telnet session. Should also be able to FTP.

You will not be able to use most of the 'hardware' based servers or clients (actually you could with a lot of work, but I wouldn't try it without a really good reason). Where you go from there will depend upon the OS on each side of the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back