Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up wrt54g as access point 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCOELHO

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
Hello everyone,
I bought a vontage rt31p2 router so i can use vontage and now i have my old wrt54g router that i would love to use an access point.
I configured the wrt54g as an access point and is working ok but not great. I just wanted to know what settings are the best settings to get this working right.
Thanks guys

that is really about it. why is it not working great? is range a problem or what?

it feels very slow. I work from home sometimes and use telnet via a vpn. I get kicked off very often.
Just wanted to know then best way to configure the router. Thank you

When the unit is used as a WAP, the router should be disabled, since it is not routing!

You do that by logging into the router and assigning a static IP and subnet mask to the router/WAP in the same range as the network you are connecting to. Then disable the DHCP server and save your changes. Make sure the ONLY connection is to the LAN side. Don't plug anything in the WAN side. Set the wireless per your requirements.

....JIM....

What if I want to connect a WRT54G via it's wireless signal to another wireless router to extend the range of the wireless network? Is this possible? I'm not real worried about it being a secure network - just wide coverage.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back