Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up workstation running win2000 pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmann

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
CA
i am very new to networking so you're going to have to bear with me.

I have a workstation that i want to hook up to the network. The setup is as follows.. two servers in the back, one i believe as the main server (called nt_server) and the other i think is a bdc (called fileserver).

my domain name is DOMAIN
Now i've set everything up.. i have the printers working under the myself and the user.. i have him connecting to the domain and to the workgroup (don't know if this is the right terminology) nt_server. Within nt_server he can gain access to mapped drives.. M:Mechanical etc., What i can't get him to do is access fileserver. This has other mapped drives on it such as E: Electrical etc. What have i not done.. Please be patient with me... remember i'm new to networking.

thanks for your help in advance

Q

What OSs are you running on the servers? Sounds like NT 4 Server if you have a BDC.

yes, sorry it's nt4 server sp6 .. and they are not workgroups they are in they are clients... starting to get the terminology

can you ping the file server? if so, check the shares on that server, look at share permissions, and NTFS permissions...

i've pinged and i can ping the servers... can you walk me through looking up shares and sharepermissions?

log into the fileserver pc and right click on the drives you want to share. go to "Properties" and click the sharing tab. If no drive is shared, then you have to specify to share the drive, and give it a share name. Since you can map drives to the nt_server, you can also look at those as a guide if needed. It sounds like the drives on the nt_server are shared, the ones on fileserver are not. To check permissions, the should be a "Share Permissions" button that will show you the users that are allowed to access the shared drives. Be careful here, because the default is to share the drive to "Everyone," and you may not want that. To look at NTFS permisssions, go to the drive you want to share, and right-click, choose "properties" and go to the securtiy tab. NTFS permissions will take precedence over share permissions. You can do all of this (Sharing, etc.)to drives or folders... whatever is more to your needs.

when i go under server admin the description for each shows: 'nt_server NT4.0 Primary' and the other 'Fileserver NT4.0 Server'. Then all the other computers are also shown in the server admin aspect as well. (all the computer names)

ok i'll give it a shot

i think the issue may be with the laptop i'm hooking up though.. all the other computers are working fine.. just the laptop

now i can't even see the domain.. (but can see my mapped drive) with my administrative rights. Guess i'll wait till morning to figure it out.. any help in the meantime would be great

ok, let me explain this again from the beginning and a little clearer..

I have purchased a new laptop. I want to connect an existing user to the server. On the server I added a computer and called it 'StevesComputer', he currently has a Userid for his desktop called SteveL. I am using that current Userid for both Computers. His desktop computer is working fine. The laptop ('StevesComputer') cannot gain access to the secondary 'Fileserver'. I hope this clarifys the situation a little bit. Thanks.

Q

Have you actually joined the domain from the laptop? (system properties, network identification tab, properties button. You'll need a domain user id which has sufficient privilege to do this - normally domain admin account - I'm assuming laptop is 2k as this is 2k forum). After that, you should be able to log on to the domain - which should get access to all machines on domain (though your logon id will need to be one with access to the shares you want to see).

if you are running an DHCP server, connect the laptop to the network, and reset your network connection by using the command "ipconfig /release /renew" from the command line prompt

wolluf i tried your recommendation and it came up with credentials supplied conflict w/ existing set of credentials.. thanks a ton for your help guys.

If you were connected to any shared resources on the domain using the same user id as connection to the domain when you tried that, you would get that message. Make sure you have not mapped any drives or connected to any shares before running it - or use a different user id to connect to domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back