Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Windows 2003 Servers in exitisting environment HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkurzner

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
US
I have an exisiting windows 2000 peer-to-peer server network utilizing workgroups. That seems to work fine, but we are upgrading our equipment to 2 windows 2003 servers. The new servers will need to run Terminal Services with one server being primarily the TS application server and the other a DB server.

I'd like to be able to set them up apart from the existing network but also be able to access the internet throught he existing router and still be able to convert everything to one network once everything checks out. I'm clueless with regard to most of this stuff, but they have an application programmer doing the work because that's just the way things are. A couple of things I don't understand. One, what's the best way to accomplish teh above, and 2) I did try to install one of the servers as a domain controller. ONce I did the ip address on the server was no longer able to be pinged and my remote control program failed to work. On my remote control program the host showed two ip addresses with one being my assigned 10.0.0.5 and the other a 192.168.0.1 However; I can't ping the 10.0.0.5 Once I demoted the server, everything worked fine again. Is a DC required, is it advisable? Some insights to a non-network guru would be very valuable.

Thanks

how many pcs do you have in your network?
how many users?
how much do users access resources & files on other computers?

this will determine whether you need a domain. With TS and database, i think it would be best!!

If you can give us these details we can help you step by step to getting your domain and network up, ok ?

you need to work out a network plan, and i think you'd be best leaving all the pcs on the same subnet here, less complicated for later.
It won't necessarily mess things up!!

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

It's a very small network of 10 PC's locally attached to a switch. The switch is behind a router which is connected to it and the Internet via modem. We expect about 10 TS Clients to connect over the Internet. Most all of the work the users do will be on a proprietary application running on the server. Local clients will access it directly and remote clients via TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back