Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I need to remote access my home computer while at school and on the school's wireless network. I have Pcanywhere working and I know how to use VNC, but the schools network will not allow these through. I was told if I used a VPN I can do this. Both machines are XPhome, so RAS is out, right?? Is there a free self explanatory vpn solution I can use. I don't need any bells and whistles. The simplier the better. As I haven't set up a vpn before just pcanywhere and vnc.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

If the school is intentionally blocking these services, I don't think that they'd want someone to do the same thing by a different method.

How about Remote Desk Top (RDP). When I went to ITT tech and need access to my pc that is what I did, but your school may have all relavent ports blocked.

remote desktop connection (RDC) will not work since both pcs are xp home. RDC or another remote connection such as vnc will be required when doing a vpn. you can the info from microsoft for setting up a vpn. But i think that your school will not let you through no matter what you try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back