Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up User Privilege For Public Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulM4t3

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I need help with setting up user privileges on Windows2000 Professional. I have never used Windows2000 before or even NT, so its like a new experience with me.

I am helping to set up a public access computerlab in a hostel. I have installed several softwares and all are working fine, but then I install games. Most of the games work when running as Restricted User, except for CounterStrike and 1 or 2 other programs. They won't start as Restricted User. But when I select Login As Power User or Administrator, it works fine.

But I don't want to give the users that much privileges as I don't want them screwing with the system setting.

Is there a workaround to this? Can I create a new user group to run legacy apps? Any help is appreciated and please be as detailed as possible as I really am new to Window2000 Professional and I have no say in the OS selections.

Thanks in advanced!

You can change permissions on individual applications to suit what users you want to be able to run them. Here's how:

First, login as an administrator and find the directory where the program(s) you want to set permissions on are located. Most likely this path will be: MyComputer\C Drive\Program Files. There will probably be a folder for each program. If you have trouble finding the program, use Find to search for it.

Once you've found the program, right click on the program executable file and select properties. A tabbed window will come up, select the security tab. The window will show two boxes, one with the list of users, one with the list of permissions for each user for that program as the user name is highlighted. Highlight the user you want to change permissions for and select Apply. Use the Advanced menu to make more detailed permissions changes. Note: You will probably need to change the permissions on the entire folder and subdirectories of the program. To do this, just click on the folder in which the program is located and select properties and then follow the same steps for changing permissions.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I did that before, but I still cannot get it to work. Lets use the game CounterStrike as an example as the other programs are proprietory.

I install the CS in C:/Games/Half-Life/CounterStrike. Then I check the Property -> Security and added Everyone and User to have Full Control to the whole C:/Games onwards ... but when I login as Normal User, I still cannot run CounterStrike. I think it have to do about running legacy applications or something. Is there any other solutions?

Is there a way for me to create a new Group that I can allow to run legacy or DOS application but without the privileges of a Power User?

The only thing I can say at this point is are you sure that you've set the permissions to the subdirectories, aside from that I don't know. But I'm also not a gamer and not familiar w/legacy applications and such.

Only thing I can suggest is to read the win2k help file for:- Default security settings

It mentions a method of updating security templates to give 'normal' users more privileges in you situation (you don't want to make them Power Users, apps won't run as nornal users). I haven't done this - so don't know how easy or effective.

Hope this helps.

Use Regedt32 and find the software folder inside of it. Local machine/software/counterstrike click permissions and add your users there. Should work for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back