Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up the IMC with dedicated connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherpa101

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2000
US
Hey folks,<br><br>I'm trying to get the big picture here.<br><br>Let's say I have a dedicated connection (T1).<br>I have Exchange 5.5 set up with the IMC.<br>Do I have to set up a DNS server in the site<br>or will Exchange use the ISP's DNS servers configured in the TCP/IP properties. Or is better to forward all SMTP mail to the ISP's SMTP server?<br>Next question is that our domain name is friedman.com.<br>I know the ISP needs to create an MX and A record pointing to the IP address of our Exchange server. Exchange automatically creates or adds the site name as part of the SMTP addresses such as <A HREF="mailto:user@atlanta.friedman.com">user@atlanta.friedman.com</A>.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would this not cause problems if our MX and A records are pointing to friedman.com and Exchange is creating mail addresses with the site name&nbsp;&nbsp;in them. I'm sure it's simple but I'm confusing myself.&nbsp;&nbsp;Please help!<br>P.S. Anyone have any test questions I can have or buy cheap?<br>

It is a very common problem...<br><br>You DON'T need your own DNS, although local browsing would benefit by using one. Your upstream DNS should be the ISPs DNS as specified in the TCPIP properties. The local domain CAN be the same as you real domain even though you are on a virtual private domain.<br><br>The ISP sets up the MX record to point to your Exchange server and the Exchange server is set up with the same domain name.<br><br>Exchange will check your DNS local cache for sending email out, if there is nothing there it will get it from an upstream request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back