Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxam

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
I am new to W2000 and I'm attempting to setup Terminal Services. So far I've installed the options from CD, rebooted, created Client diskettes and attempted to create a new connection on my W2k server by using "Terminal Services Connection Wizzard".

I am having the following problems occour and I need some input.

1: When running the wizzard I get an error when "Setting up the transport type" I am entering the following in the (3) field 1: Name=Test, 2: Transport Type=TCP, 3: Comments=Test

When I select next, I get a Network Adapter option which allows me to select 1: All Network Adapters configured with this protocol (which I believe is OK since I only have one adapter)

The error I receive from the Terminal Services Configuration is "The new connection must have a unique connection type or network adapter". Does this mean I need to install and setup a unique (separate) adapter to run TS? Any suggestions on what's going on there?

Also, when setting up a TS client on my PC I cannot log in to the W2k server. The reason for this is probably due to the errors described above but I'm not certain. I was able to run TS from the client and see the host signon screen but I was not able to log in to the server. It continues to ask me for a Domain name but I do not use W2k with a Domanin name but rather it was setup as a "workgroup" server.

Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maxxam

Its been a while since I set it up but If I remember right I had select the adapter then give connection a name as this is what the terminal service will call itself.
tried to see if there was a way to look at what I chose and couldn't find it

No, you can use the existing adapter. However, why are you running the wizard? If you look, there should already be a RDP connection created (it was auto created when you installed TS). This is the one you want to configure. Does a domain exist even though you don't use it? If it does, create a domain user, make sure they have rights to that RDP connection, and login. Otherwise, create a regular user account on the server, and do the same thing.

Matt J.

OK I do have a default RDP connection and as I inidcated in my previous post I can get to the device and I can see the login screen for my W2000 server so I believe I'm further along that I realize. My problem now is that I cannt access the server (login). The login screen says I need a domain. I mentioned earlier that I do not use a domaon name for my current installation. I inherited this network as I'm a little unsure as to whether I can use "workgroup" as a name for my server and alos have a domaon name set. Can I have both?

MAXXAM

Right click on my computer, go to properties. On the Network Identification tab, do you see anything that says domain? If so, then you have a domain. Go to Active Directory Users and Computers (its under the start menu), and add a user account. You'll type the netbios name for the domain then, in the login box for your terminal session. For example, if the domain name is domain.local, then you would type domain.

If not, then go to Computer Management, and add a user. You'll type the netbios computer name in the login box for your terminal sessin.

Matt J.

Matt is right

If you are not using a W2k domain, then the server name is the domain name.

Terminal Servers can accept connections both for a domain or for their own local users. When connecting to a server you can use it's computer name or IP address.

Hope this helps

AJ

OK ,, I went to my w@k server and checked for the following:

1: Active Directory was not installed or avalable yet. Why? Do I need to addinstall another module? Help!

2: Right clicking on w2k/Mycomuter/properties/NetworkIdentification =

Computer Name = ntserver
Workgroup=WORKGROUP

Option - To rename this computer or to join a domain, click properties.

I was reluctant to make any changes here because I'm unsure as to how this will affect my current users that see the server resources via WORKGROUP. When I attempted this option and asked to connect to a domain controller, the system balked because it said I did not have one created and to download somthing from MS.

At this point I am not sure what is causing the holdup. I can get the login screen for my server but I cannot authenticate.

Does the TS authentication happen in the same way a local client does? I assume it's different because I'm hitting the server via my LAN but it does not accept the password I've assigned previously.

Thanks for all the feedback.

MAXAXM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back