Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up sql enterprise on my laptop to go through book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay12321

Programmer
Oct 7, 2009
GB
i have installed vmware and on that i have put xp pro.

i was going to insatall it but i has 1 warning, iis not installed. i downloaded iis manger 6.0 from microsoft website but still no joy. how do i get iis.

also i noticed in my book it says i need windows server 2003 to go through the exercises.

ho do i install this onto my laptop.

Thanks.... Jay

You cannot install the enterprise version of sql server on a desktop operating system. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the microsoft web page that states this.

Also, you should realize that in a vmware environment, all instances of operating systems must be purchased.

I doubt that a book requires the enterprise version of SQL Server. If it truely does, then I would suggest that you purchase SQL Server Developer edition. This sells for approximately $50 and can be installed on a desktop operating system.

If you truly intend to install a server operating system and SQL Enterprise, be prepared to spend many thousands of dollars.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

The developer edition of SQL Server is identical to the Enterprise edition. It can be used instead. Or you can download the eval which is also Enterprise edition.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Maybe you should start from the beginning of this book...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back