Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Sniffer 4.7 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulderxf

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
US
I recently received Sniffer 4.7 Pro and set it up to the best of my ability. Accordingly it works but not fully.

First, Is it necessary to have the NAI or Xircom drivers and if so how to I get and install them. Also, do you have any idea where I can obtain another copy of the installation manual an opperating instructions.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 260 running Win 2K Pro. It has a Pentium 4/2gig and 512 DDR Ram.

I have only minor experience using equipment of this type so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Mulderxf

Hi there,

The specific drivers come with your sniffer. you will find the in the following dirs:

x:\program files\nai\snifferNT\program\drivers

And yes, it is very usefull to load them. assuming you are using an Ethernet Sniffer (you spoke about a Xircom card), you wil NOT see any errors like CRC, Runt, fragments and others when you are NOT using a NAI specified card with NAI drivers.

To activate the drivers, just go to the appropriate Win2K menu and do a driver update of you card pointing to the right directory as mentioned above.

good luck
Robert Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCP / SCE / CNX / MCP
Citee Education
the Netherlands

Hi,
All the relevant documentation, should of been supplied to you in pdf format on a CD with the product CD/Media pack. The quickest way to get a copy is to go to the downloads area of the sniffer web site and download it. You will need your Grant no. though, if you don't know this speak to your Sales Account Manager or contact customer services (link on above url).
Alf

Hi all,
please use the NAI drivers only, when you have an original NAI NIC for your PC. Otherwise use the standard NIC drivers for the Xircom.
However you won't see all physical errors on Ethernet and your performance might not be 100% in highly utilized networks.
Regards
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back