Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up SMTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsdale

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
AU
In the IIS Manager -> Default SMTP server -> Properties dialog, on the 'General' tab, the recommended settings for IP address is (from the combobox) "All Unassigned" - the appropriate setting, I was told. In that combobox are two other possibilities, my PC's IP address: '192.168.0.1' and what I assume is an external IP address which I assumed to be where the mail was meant to be coming from (POP3 server??), but the address in this popup:

doesn't match the ping'ed address of the mail-hub:
C:\>ping mail-hub
Pinging mail-bpa.bigpond.com [144.135.24.13] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 144.135.24.13: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=248
Reply from 144.135.24.13: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=248
Ping statistics for 144.135.24.13:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 19ms
C:\>

Entering in the following in the browser address got me to a network login dialog, to which no password worked, certainly not the ones issued to my by Bigpond, my ISP. Why is this IP address in the SMTP popup list? Is this normal? Shouldn't it be the one associated with mail with my ISP? Can it be changed?

Thanks so much,
Robyn

In reading some of the other posts, I found a recommendation to issue a ipconfig at the command prompt. This revealed that the number I mentioned about is indeed the IP address of my ISP - it also revealed that there was a valid DNS suffix. My gateway computer does not have DHCP enabled, neither did it have a primary DNS suffix, but does have the following:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : netserver
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : qld.bigpond.net.au
This Win 2000 Pro box, then, should be able to receive mail in the \Inetpub\mailroot\Drop\root folder, I should think. Anyone have any idea what I'm missing here?
Cheers,
Robyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back