Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up selective field drop downs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynaman

Technical User
Jan 8, 2007
US
Dear Folks:

First time poster... I am trying to create a field in approach that changes the drop down "selects" based on what is in a previous field (filter). This feature is under options when you define fields. Can anyone help me with that? I don't know exactly how they work and my book is vague as well as the help in approach.

Also...This would be a big favor from anyone so kind. I purchased the latest Smart Suite almost 2 years ago, included separately with my workstation from IBM. There are patch fixes that should have been included. After calling IBM, they claim that to get the patches, I need to join thier "passport advantage" program.

On top of It all, they can't get me patches either way for what I have. They say I have to purchase a complete new software package and then get the patches. Geez Louise! What a waste of resources. I have to purchase what I all ready purchased again?

I feel this is unfair, because the product is defective, and I just really started getting into using it in depth for myself. Would anybody have, patches for SS, they would be willing to share?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Aram

1) Filters are pretty simple. You can use the value in another field to limit the options in a subsequent field. For example, you can filter the cities by filling in the state first and then filter the list of cities with that filled in field.

2) The SmartSuite you get for free on a PC does not come with a maintenance and upgrade agreement. You can buy that agreement if you have release 9.7 or 9.8, or you can buy the newest 9.8 which will come with all patches. This is done thru IBM's Passport Advantage program.

Note that the 9.6, 9.7 releases had no patches offered. If you have the 9.8.0 release a free patch for one problem is available. The current release as of Oct 06 is 9.8.4 and there are no patches for it. It includes all fixes for all prior releases to-date.

I use the 9.7 SmartSuite myself for most development in Approach, and it is very stable and usable.

Sue Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back