Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up report with Columns and not showing unused columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne72

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
Here is my problem:

I have a table set up as follows:

Section ID
Month ID
Expense ID
Notes

Section ID is linked to a table with 425 different "sections." Month ID is obviously linked to a table of months running from Mar 94 to Dec 00. Expense ID is linked to a table of 40-50 predetermined expense categories. The notes field is simply for explanatory notes for each expense item entered.

Accordingly, for each section there are entries for certain months, then for each month there can be one to fifty expense entries for each month.

Each section may run the entire period or some portion of the period. For example, section one might run May-99 through April-00, Section Two may run May-94 through Jul-99, Section 3 may run Jun-00 to Sep-00, etc.

I need to develop a report which shows me, by section, all of the expense line items, with columns for each month. The twist is that, because of the long time period, I don't want to show months for each section which do not contain any data. Under the example above, for section 1, I need the 7 expense items from May-99 to Apr-00 while for Section 2, I need the 32 expense items, but only for the period Jun-00 through Sep-00.

There may be an easy solution, but it seems to be eluding me. I am fairly proficient with Access, but I've not done much programming. So, be gentle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Wayne72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back