Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Remotes Access for Multiple Hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeym

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
US
Can anyone suggest the easiest way to use pcAnywhere to connect to multiple hosts remotely?

I could easily setup one host, and use WinXP's remote Desktop application, but there must be an easier solution.

Thanks

Create the remotes in pcAnywhere, and connect. What's the problem?

The issue is being able to select from a pool of multiple hosts. Make sense?

Not yet. Serbastic's answer looks correct to me.
Once you create multiple remotes (the pool) - you just select the one you want to connect to.

Ok let me re-explain. Perhaps I just don't understand, or am not explaining it cl;early.

Once I connect to my network remotely (which I can successful do), how do I specify a specific host? I understand that each host must have a pcANYwhere host service installed and running.

Right now I have the firewall performing a port forward just to one box. Should I disable this and just open it alltogether so I can call to any number of pcAnywhere hosts?

OK- it sounds like you want to connect to multiple hosts behind a common firewall. The process for this is to use the same IP, but change the listening port for each individual box, then use port forwarding at the router/ firewall. I am not familiar enough with PCA to comment on its viability / implementation. But the process is pretty common for RDC or connecting to multiple devices behind a common firewall.

So if you do want to use remote desktop- it is very easy to implement with multiple hosts behind a common firewall.

Now if our network grows, does each workstation now have to be imaged with a unique pcAnywhere listening port?

Do you have any other resources I can look into for this issue?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back