Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachdan

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
I have a friend that is a complete newby on the computer. He is always calling me for help and I wanted to see if it is possible to setup Remote Desktop to his machine (over the internet)? We both have XP (he has Home and I have one running Home and one running Pro). I will have to get through my router and ZA and he is also running ZA on his end. Is this possible? If not, is it possible to setup Netmeeting under these conditions?

coachdan32

Unlike Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home doesn't have 'Remote Desktop' but your friend could request help from you (either using Windows Messenger or email) via 'Remote Assistance'.

Have a look at the following:

Obtain Remote Assistance Using Windows Messenger in Windows XP

Provide Remote Assistance in Response to an E-mail Invitation in Windows XP

I have to do the same with my father and, after using Remote Assistance/Remote Desktop, have ended up using RealVNC ( because it seems less trouble to set up and faster in operation. The free version is available here (
RealVNC lacks a 'chat' function but this isn't an issue for us as we're on the phone anyway. RealVNC also lacks a 'file transfer' option but other versions like UltraVNC and TightVNC (in the TightVNC 1.3dev3 'unstable' version) do.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back