Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Redhat Linux 7.2 as a Proxy server PPP + mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo81

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
AU
Don't know if the subject is the correct way of putting this ..... but does anyone know any Text's, Howto's or can tell me the easiest way of setting up Redhat 7.2 server as a dial up machine to the net to share internet access to a windows XP and Win98 machine, I have got that webadmin installed if that helps? I am new to linux trying to self teach myself and seem to be going around in circles and can't seem to find anything on setting linux up as a proxy server, is there any RPM's I can use that will make it easier with a fairly safe firewall + pretty user friendly, I am just using the server bit of linux so haven't got any gui stuff installed I don't think ... apart from that xwindows ?? anyways any help would be awsome .... thanks

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

You need to read up on IPTABLES.... That knowledge will allow you to set up a firewall and internet sharing... Check out IPCHAINS too, (superceded by IPTABLES, but both should be present...)

xwindows probably has all the GUIs in it, but I don't think there is a GUI to setup IPTABLES configurations (could be wrong though, I'm not a Linux expert).

For Proxy server, You can use squid.
For firewall, you can download firestarter (firestarter.sourceforge.net)
For PPP Dial up to Internet, You can use dial up support.
If you installed linux using custom.You can select which program you want to install into your linux server.
If you got problem to configure squid and PPP dial up.
You can download webmin (You can configure some program inside linux using web interface.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back