Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Hi,

Looking for some help and advice in setting up Raid on my PC.

M/b is Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2. O/S is Windows XP
I have loaded drivers for Gigaraid successfully. I have loaded the Raid management software. I am trying to set up a normal array as I only want to be able to use 3 hard drives , don’t want anything fancy.

However I cannot create an array as the raid manager will not recognise my 2 primary hard drives – only the third drive. These drives are recognised in BIOS and in Device manager and both work perfectly.

On system boot up the drives are recognised in normal BIOs bootup, but when Gi
GigaRaid BIOS boots up they are not detected, only drive 3.

It seems clear that the RAID part of my BIOS is not detecting the primary drives, and I can find no way of ensuring that it does. Can anybody help me please.

Thanks

Jim

(1) Are the 3 HD's identical?
If not, then there may be problems configuring them in RAID.

(2) Were the HD's partitioned and formatted on an IDE channel, and then switched over to RAID?

(3)If you're using RAID 0, then are the 3 HD's jumpered as Primary Master, Primary Slave, and Secondary Master?

(4) If you're using RAID 1, then you cannot use 3 HD's.
And 2 HD's have to be jumpered as Pri. Master and Sec. Master.

(5) If the HD's were configured in RAID using the Auto option, then try the manual option.

where/how are the drives connected?
if you dont want 2 use raid just put one hdd on the raid controller (boot drive) and set boot option to boot from raid (you must supply driver for raid to xp).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back