Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up RAID 0+1 but need to copy data first... please help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnShady

Technical User
Dec 30, 2008
I have a hardware Raid controller built in my motherboard. I have 4 identical SATA 750GB 32mb cache Seagate drives. My ultimate goal is to run a 0+1 Raid setup. Is it possible for me to start with a raid 0 and copy my data from my existing single drive to the raid 0 drives before mirroring and creating the 0+1? If so, when I add the additional drives for the 0+1 will it automatically begin to mirror the data?

The reason I ask is I only have 4 Sata ports which would all be occupied leaving me no way to get my data from my existing harddrive without purchasing additional hardware. It may take extra time but I don't mind doing it in stages if this is possible. I just don't know if once I activate the raid on my motherboard if I can have my existing single drive plugged in and copy to the 2 striped drives before mirroring. Hope this makes sense, thanks for all the help!

It all depends on the controller (Sil, nVidia, Adaptec etc.) on your motherboard and its manner of constructing arrays. Most onboard controllers (not really true hardware RAID, as it depends upon your CPU, not its own processor) have simple BIOSes that won't allow things like expanding or changing arrays. You build the array, then use it like a single drive. Many server RAID controllers have more flexibility, so knowing what you have would be helpful.

Even with the most simple controller (that supports RAID 0+1), you could:

1. Clone the array to a single drive;
2. Place the drive in a USB caddy;
3. Build your array and clone back.

You could also use an IDE drive, that would be much faster than USB, but I doubt that you can get around having a fifth drive involved somewhere. Good news: IDE drives are dirt cheap right now, leave it connected after array construction, format it & use it for backup.

Remember, no RAID level is a substitute for regular backups, it's just hardware redundancy.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back