Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up "cyber cafe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sympology

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
GB
I've found a thread,on this, but it's not really what I'm after.

I've volunteered to help set up a youth project in a local village. My role will be to set up a "cyber cafe" section. However, unlike a traditional business model, this is a bit wider scope.

What I hope to do is, yes give them internet access, but also access to software on the pc's (I know a fair few to put on).
My problem is this.

I'm looking at possibly using MS steady state (never used it before), but then have a storage dilema.

The only thing I can think of is a file server, but as funds are tight (read 0) I think a full domain is a no no from the start.

Whats the best way of giving storage to the end users, without compromising the pcs, or peoples personal file i.e. stop one user accessing another? Idealy it must be a fairly simple to use system as I won't be running it on a day to day basis.

I've used home networks (trust everything) and corp netowkr s (full blown domains), but kind of need something in between.

looking at 5 -6 desktops running xp + storage solution.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

For the storage part, what about using FreeNAS? It's an easy build, and can run practically on ANY hardware! I had read about it many times in the past, but just set my first one up a couple months ago. It's running on IDE drives, and an AMD Athlon Slot A 900MHZ cpu, and maybe 758 or around there MB SD RAM (PC100). When actually doing a pretty good bit of file transfers to the system, it at most used 15 to 20 % of the CPU cycles if I remember correctly. It also has a nice web GUI interface that can be accessed from any other PC on the network. Besides that, you can set up different user groups, etc, so that just anyone can access only certain parts, but not actually administer anything, and only "administrators" or whatever can administer the setup. It seems to work fairly well, and there are loads of video walk-throughs online showing what various folks have done with it.

Samba on Linux can now run as a "virtual" active directory domain controller, so you can run as a domain without the need to fork out for Windows server licenses + CALs.

However you would need "professional" operating systems to join it (XP Pro, Windows 7 Pro, Vista Business etc) rather than the lower cost consumer ones (XP Home, Win 7 Home premium etc). If money is tight then they may not be an option.

John

Hopefully we will get XP pro as the machines will be ex-business machines and we have a genuine refurb XP MAR licenses.

I've been thinking about this and the only issue is that each user would need a unique login to access these, so a they would need to log out and then back in, potentially having hundreds of accounts.
Looking at Samba this looks a bit of pain (non technical people would have to create the user accounts)

The other option I thought about is allowing USB storage, but not the abilty to run exes from these, but then I'm entering another whole world of pain :-(

The reason it's getting tricky is that I want to install a suite of apps, so that they can do projects, but of course need to save a file from within those programs, whilst restricting access to that user and that one only.

I guess I could map a drive to a "root" share with peoples sub folders that are password protected and they enter the credentials from there. Even this must have conditions i.e. prompt every time, otheriwse I'm into logging off again.

I've a feeling USB may be the way to go. The site could sell sticks at cost + small %, thus making a cash flow to be plowed back in and keeping the costs down, but then this discriminates against those that simply have no cash.

So what I guess I want (hello fantasy land) is.

Admin creates folder on said share eaisly i.e graphically or via simple software.
Users are logged in as "Guest"
Map drive to root of share e.g \\share
Then users save to \\Share\Myfolder. At this point they are prompted for user name and password.
File is saved.

Suppose final option is "loan" usb pens with deposit. Not sure how that will go down (again imagine having 250 of them to file and manage!)

Why did I agree to this [hammer]

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

why not have the users use FTP for file storage.
relatively simple, cost effective (FileZilla), can have username/passwords for directories.

or maybe something like this (FYI-i have never used it)
The ProPlus version with the Account Creation Add-on.

Either way, i would setup the individual machines as Kiosk-style, with it auto-logging-in, locked down to user settings only and placing shortcuts on the desktop to any apps and a link to the storage solution. Once i had 1 computer that worked correctly, I would use Ghost or a similar program to image the disk so that when something unpleasant happens to the system, it would be a simple image restore to be back up and running. This works even better if all the computers are the same make/model.

Let them save their data to a USB stick that they provide, then you don't need to worry about it.

John

Why is this a fantasy?

So what I guess I want (hello fantasy land) is.

Admin creates folder on said share eaisly i.e graphically or via simple software.
Users are logged in as "Guest"
Map drive to root of share e.g \\share
Then users save to \\Share\Myfolder. At this point they are prompted for user name and password.
File is saved.

Seems pretty simple. Basically just like setting up an FTP site (like another user suggested). I would just make sure that the drive mapping is only for single session and that usernames are cleared pretty quickly (or auto logged out or something).

Just do this on the FreeNAS box that was suggested above (I've used it and it's a really good/low cost solution).

J

Yeah I was thinking of FTP. Suppose I can create a ftp link and then prompt for username / password which directs to correct folder.
I suppose one way around the day to day staff creating this is to use generic names e.g User1234 and passwords and then assign then as and when.

Still working out best way. No doubt have to get past the people in charge of the whole project.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert Wilensky:

I'm still wondering - Are the machines going to be "on line" all the time, practically? If so, what's wrong with the free online storage solutions? Google Docs gives 2 or so GB free, and if you save docs in the Google Docs formats, those don't count against your total. You can save any files there, currently. Microsoft Sky Drive allows up to 30 GB, I think it is, and is free as well. Only limit there is file size, I believe, set at 50 MB max which will handle most any document, music, picture, file..

Oh, and the reason I was mentioning them is that no one else has to be involved. Each person sets up their own account with their email address, name, etc, no on site admin necessary for that part. And it's portable. Anywhere they have web access, they have access to their files.

Unlikely to keep online 24/7 to keep bills down. Also bandwidth may be an issue (still waiting to find out what link they are getting).

However, you may be onto something.

I may have to set up a website for them, so I may look at doing a storage area for them n that, but limit the files sizes.

They daft thing is, I'm mainly a Telco guy these days :)

Robert Wilensky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back