Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up query to filter more specific

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbviper

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi there,

We have a database in our office which records contacts with our clients. I am trying to run a query for a report which will show which clients we seen between a particular date. Since we may have seen a client more than once between those dates i am getting several instances of that client showing, but i only want to view each client in one instance. E.g. we may have seen one client 5 times in the last 2 weeks and another client 2 times in the last 2 weeks. This shows up 7 records when i only want it to show up 2, as in the 2 different clients we have met.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

Sounds like you need to do some grouping. Open the report in design view.
1. Click on "Sorting and Grouping" under the View tab.
2. Choose the field you want to group on (ie:ClientID) and say Yes under group header. 3. Your report will now have a ClientID header.
Put the info you want to display under this ClientID header. (Name, address, lawyer that represents them/etc- anything that only one type of data associated with it.)
4. If you want to list the actual dates/reasons that the client visited put that data in the Details section of the report. Your report will then look like this:
Ann Jones 1299 Maple Street
Dec 12 Will signed
Dec 18 LLC formed
Dec 19 divorce filing
Bob Thomas 3900 Oak Street
Dec 14 Bankruptcy filing
Dec 18 Will drawn up
If you don't care about the actual dates/reasons/etc then don't put any data into the "details" section of the report, put everything under the ClientID header. Your report will then look like this
Ann Jones 1299 Maple Street
Bob Thomas 3900 Oak Street
Good luck
j

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back