Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up ports to connect a phone and piggy-back a PC off the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnold1976

Technical User
Apr 2, 2006
BM
I am trying to set up QoS on a 2950 switch for our Mitel phones and use the second port on the phone for the PC connection. Andy from thread: 558-955281 had a configuration:

"interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 500
switchport port-security maximum 3
mls qos trust cos
spanning-tree portfast

Make sure you have the QoS configured correctly as well to support the expedite queue and map CoS 5 into this queue (4). You will need a new release to support the expedite queue (12.1(12c)EA1 or above, although since the software is free I would just put the latest on).

wrr-queue bandwidth 10 20 70 0
wrr-queue cos-map 1 0 1
wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 4
wrr-queue cos-map 3 3 6 7
wrr-queue cos-map 4 5"

I am very new to the Cisco world and wonder if someone could point me in the right direction to set this up. Help is greatly appreciated.

What more do you need to know? There are 2 versions of the 2950 - those that run the SI only features and those that run the EI features. The EI ones are better and have QoS classifying & Policing features which the SI ones don't.

Andy

We have the SI. How will this effect the configuration?

With the SI you can only 'trust' the Layer-2 CoS values received (as in the configuration you posted). With the EI you can create ingress service policies to classify and police traffic as well. This gives you more control & flexibility than merely trusting the device.

Configure you switch like this:

!Global Configuration
wrr-queue bandwidth 5 25 70 0
wrr-queue cos-map 1 1
wrr-queue cos-map 2 0
wrr-queue cos-map 3 2 3 4 6 7
wrr-queue cos-map 4 5

!User Interface configuration
interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 500
switchport mode access
switchport port-security
switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security aging time 3
switchport port-security violation restrict
switchport port-security aging type inactivity
mls qos trust cos
spanning-tree portfast

Obviously with the 2950 you can't do inter-vlan routing so you will need an external router or layer-3 switch for this.

HTH

Andy

I'm curious as I'm not familiar with the Mitel phones. Don't the Cisco Phones use CDP to set up the connection to the switch as a trunk to the phone thus separating the voice/access(data) vlans to the switchport? Are the Mitel phones capable of that?
I realize QOS is another issue entirely....

Ahh voice vlans.......

Mitel IP Phones do support CDP and I think they also support voice vlans via CDP, although this was added in a firmware release so may or may not work for you. The other method to make the IP Phones learn the voice vlan tag is via DHCP. The phones initially 'talk' natively on the access vlan and lease an IP address in the Access VLAN DHCP scope. Contained in the DHCP offer need to be the Mitel options, one of these being the Voice VLAN. Once the IP Phone has this information it releases the IP address from the access VLAN and then starts talking using the Voice VLAN tag:

There is a good explanation here:

HTH

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back