Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up network that has fiber run & netgear switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

symhelp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2009
US
I"m having some problems with setting up our external network. We have a Cisco ASA5505 which has dhcp enable and gives out ip address as we don't have a dhcp server, it's a small network just going to be used for wireless. I then have a Netgear ProSafe 24-Port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch- Switch A (couldn't get a cisco because we needed a cheap gb poe switch). Then have a fiber link that goes from front end of our building to the back end. Each side has fiber converter boxes which have active links on both ends. then on the back end our fiber converter is connect to another Netgear ProSafe 24-Port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch - Switch B. Problem i'm having is Switch B can't see anything that's on the front end, can't get an ip address, when i give one to a pc manually it can't access anything that's plugged into Switch A or it can't get out to the internet. Help! what am i doing wrong? i'm hoping i didn't go wrong but purchasing the netgear switches. Thanks in advanced!

I am betting you have the wrong polarity in the fiber: transmit is talking to transmit and receive is listening to receive. Swap one fiber connector, and see if that is it.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

i knew if wasn't the fiber itself because if i swap them the fiber converters no longer have an active link. I figured out the issue was on of the dip switches in the fiber converter need to be changed so that it was set for auto negotiation.
thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back