Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Multiple Domain Hosting? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovatvvon

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
US
I'm rather new to Exchange and have just installed a trial version of MS Exchange 2003 on my server. I'd like to try it out for hosting multiple domains, and while it would seem logical to me that it should be able to this, I've only thus far been able to setup a single-domain host.

Can anyone direct me as to how to integrate a second domain in the same Exchange server?

-Ovatvvon :-Q

Inside of exchange system manager, open up the recepients then recepients policy.

here you will see the default policy. this automatically gives any exchnage user your default domain SMTP address. if you want to add additional domains, you can either modify the default rule, or add an additional rule. Under the email Address policy tab, click new and add the ip address you want to respond for (i.e. @fubar.com). the rules are processed in the order they appear. as you add rules they take a higher precedence. When the Recepient update Service is run, it courses throught the list of recepient policies, and applies them based upon their rules. once a user object is matched with a policy., the user object is not processed against any other policies, hence the top down processing.

if you want to assign a smtp address to only a select group of users (perhaps hosting) you will have to have some type of consistent value to check. I have not been able to get rules based on OU= working. I use logon name instead. in order to accomplish this you will want to add a UPN for each different domain you will host.

To add a UPN, open up active directory Domains and trusts. right click on the domain, and choose properties. here you will be able to add a upn (i.e. fubar.com). Once you have added a UPN, you can now create users that have the UPN name instead of your default domain name (i.e. bgates@fubar.com instead of bgates@microsoft.com)

back to the recepient policy......

on the filter rules, choose modify/add and from the "find" drop down, choose custom search. Click on the "Field: drop down and choose user/logon name. Then chooses "Ends with" as the condition, and the value "fubar.com". this would set up an email assigning policy that only applies to fubar.com users. If you did not want the default domain SMTP address to get assigned to these users, you would need to set the new address you assigned as the primary, then uncheck or remove the default domain SMTP address.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

That is perfect. Thanks! :)

athelu,

This would be good in the FAQ area...you should post it there. =)

The only thing that'd need a change is:

1) Active Domain and Trusts section should say to right click on the title of "Active Directory Domains and Trusts" instead of "right click on the domain".

2) My default recipient policy wouldn't let me choose "modify", so I had to add a new one for the second domain (figured it out with messing around a bit). Specify that that, and then for the "Find dropdown", specify to go to the "Advanced Tab" first.

Other than that, it was all great, and would probably be helpful to someone else in the future if it were in the FAQ area. [thumbsup2]

Thanks I was missing the addition in the recipient policy! Once I checked and saw it was not there everything was golden.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back