Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up log shipping for 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRinTetons

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2001
US
I want to set up log shipping for and instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 (64-bit). Some things I am reading about set up contradict my recent experience with backup restores, so I wanted to get some clarification. If there is a good FAQ or other documentation resource which I can refer please point me towards it.

I was recently unsuccessful in an attempt to restore a backup from 64-bit SQL Server 2008 R2 to a 32-bit SQL Server 2008 Standard instance. The MSDN article on log shipping seems to suggest that there should be no problem with such a restore and that log shipping between a 64-bit 2008 Enterprise R2 instance and 32-bit Standard 2008 instance should be successful as a first step in setting up logging, and that logging would work overall with that configuration. Any suggestions?

I suspect the secondary server should ideally be an exact mirror, hardware and software, to the primary server. Is that strictly necessary? Highly preferable? What parameters do I need to consider in selecting and configuring a secondary server?

I have some 300 client computers pointed at the primary server with a connection string that references a CNAME that points at the primary server. It is my belief that coming up on the secondary server might be as simple as changing DNS so that the CNAME points at the secondary server and having all clients log out and back into the application. I suppose I might need to force a DNS flush on the clients in case they have stored references to the primary server. Does that make sense?

Does anyone with experience in this area have any warnings of landmines I should be on the lookout for in getting the setup?

-
Richard Ray
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

I do not think 2008 R2 can be log shipped to 2008, however the 64 bit to 32 bit should work.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Backing up from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2008 won't work. Those are two different version. Going from x64 to x32 is no problem as long as the major versions are the same.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back