Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up laptop wireless to LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2003
US
I have a Linksys WAP11 connected to my 3Com hub. I went through the install of the WAP using the defaults and used a open IP address relating to our network.

The laptop is a Dell with XP with the true mobile wireless pcmcia adapter.

I can see the other LAN computers on the network from the laptop but when I try to access any of the computers I get a message, you do not have access rights to the computer. The computers are set for anyone to access them and I have no trouble accessing them from any other computer.

I am missing something in setup. Appreciate any help. I am new at using wireless connections. Is there any links that will give me the settings (and may be steps) need for the laptop and WAP.

Thanks!

I don't have any problems accessing any computers from a hard wire to hard wire.

There shouldn't be anything in the wireless setup giving you this problem. As long as you can see/ping the machines then your wireless connection is working. Wireless is just a means of transportation and doesn't deal with any shared folder access rights.

If you did have that laptop hooked up hard wire working and then switched to the wireless, the computers you are seeing could be cached copies. Make sure you can ping the other machines through the wireless link.

that is a very good point wookalar. make sure you are rebooting everytime you're switching from wireless to wires. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back