Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Insight Manager from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenb

MIS
Jan 20, 2000
GB
My manager has asked me to get the Compaq Insight Manager working so that all of our networked PC's (all 500 of them) can be managed remotely from a server.

Now, I know that the Manager software is installed on a particular server that i am to use already. It's the desktops that i am unsure about. I know that they need to be configured with the Intelligent Manageability Agent, but what for? Does an SNMP trap need to be set up to direct it to the IP address of the server with the Management software? How in the management software do I set it to receive the information? Where can I get the latest Mangement software for the server?

I know that I am seriously lacking knowledge in this area, so any pointers or answers to my questions would be excellent. If anyone knows of any web sites that I can have a look at, apart from compaq.com, that would be great too.

Many thanks
Darren

Not sure about getting the PCs configured, I'm planning to look at this later this year. There is some info on managing clients in the Help files on the Insight Manager console, but I haven't gone into it in much depth. (Altering login scripts sounded a bit dodgy on the production network, I'll try it on my test network first)

However I know that you can get the latest Insight Manager software (4.90) from compaq's web site. If you navigate to the server support area, pick any model of server and there should be a 'Choose by category' heading that allows you to pick your o/s and 'Management Applications & Utilities'

This should take you to a page where you can download Insight Mgr 4.90 or Insight Mgr XE.

Hope some of this helps

Cheers

David

Thanks for your reply David.

Do you know the differences between the 4.90 version and the XE version, apart from the obvious 'web' difference? I am a little unsure what to install on the server and what will be best for our company. If it means that the 4.9 version is easier to setup and configure, then I will go down that road.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

I'm not sure if there's much difference in functionality between standard Insight Mgr and the XE version. XE does require a database behind it (SQL6.5, SQL7 or Microsoft Database Engine). I tried running it on our test network and it seemed OK. I suppose the main advantage is being able to pull up the console from any PC through the browser.

Try this URL, it's Compaq's Q&A page on Insight XE 2.0, it gives some info on what can be managed and the advantages as Compaq see them in moving to XE.

Cheers

David

Compaq Insight Manager, which is now at version 7.0 is designed to be for Servers. If you want the basics you should get version 5.20. This will allow you to "play" with monitoring Compaq servers and clients on a limited basis. Jumping straight to XE may be more than a new user can handle, as it is designed to be for management of an enterprise. Giving an admin the ability to ProActively monitor his/her network and apply machine related updates through the agents. 5.20 is really only a "monitoring tool". XE steps into a more Microsoft SMS related field, without the remote control features.

XE AND Insight LC. I know XE and far more in depth and returns more info and managability, but I don't have the time to learn SQL. Would mass installing LC (client and server side) be a viable alternative??

Eric, CCNA, A+, Net+, APS

LC is only for clients that run the desktop agents. Won't help you on servers. You don't have to ANYTHING about SQL to do CIM7. Go for it - you won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back