Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up guest FTP services using Proftpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

coben

Instructor
Apr 16, 2002
US
I'm new at linux and am trying to set up ftp. I downloaded and installed proftpd and have looked through the documentation at However, the documentation is difficult to understand. What I've done so far is to edit the xinetd.conf file and added ftp services. I've included the following:

service ftp
{
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/proftpd
server_args = -l -a
log_on_success += DURATION USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
nice = -1
disable = no
}

The proftpd documentation (Chpt 11) talks about setting up ftp users in AuthUserFiles and AuthGroupFiles. Does proftpd use these files by default or do I have to configure it somewhere to use these files? I cannot find these files nor does the documentation explain whether I have to create these files and if so, where to put them. If I don't have to use them, does proftpd use the passwd and group files by default or do I have to configure proftpd to use those files? What I want to accomplish is to set up several ftp only accounts for students but I don't want to set up annonymous. Can anyone help me configure proftpd? Please assume I know nothing about linux file structure (which is very close to the truth) and include paths to files and sample configurations if possible.

BTW, I looked into using wu-ftp but found that just as confusing. When I read the documentation on proftpd they gave reasons why it was better than wu-ftp. So I figured I had to choose which ftp software to use so I chose proftpd. I'm open to using wu-ftp if it is easier to configure and fairly secure. Thanks so much for any help.
Chris

If you are new to linux, these can get pretty confusing. If you would like a GUI admin program that will make life easier, you may want to check out and download the version for you distro. You will be able to configure ALL your servers and admin your system all from one place.

I like the webmin utility. However, I still can't get my proftpd server to function. Can anyone help? Thanks.

If you want to make life easier for yourself, don't run proftpd under xinetd - I've tried, found it way too difficult to get it working properly under heavily used ftp site and switched to standalone installation -> no problems since =D

Thanks. I think I'll go that route. Is there an easy way to switch from inetd mode to standalone? If not, do I need to delete old files and reinstall or just do a new installation? Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back