Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up exchange shared calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisdela

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
GB
Hi all

i'm looking to set up a shared calendar that when updated automatically updates the recipients calendar, with each user having their own identifiable colour. I need to be able to look at where everyone is by looking at the one calendar.

I have seen this done in exchange 2003 but do not know how to do it. Also is it possible to do it on exchange 2000.

Any help is much appreciated

You could do this in Exchange 2000 if you just create a calendar under public folders. Give all your users access to it.

The hard part would be the actual scheduling. You would need to get your users to "invite" this as a resource. then you would see everyones appointments.

I don't know of a way to automate the process.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Good advice ...I can just share with you on how I have set this up in our School and everyone likes it so far:

You can create Calendar in Public folder and share it with proper permissions setup...if you like.

This is my way:

I have created a global security Group (call it Scheduling). Use Calendar in Scheduling group for sharing between it's members.
After this is done, add your users to this group and use your account as Admin (or give this permission to the key-person if you like). The users can be: editors, reviewers, publishers, etc...After you have centralized administration, you can automate every task based on Scheduling Group.

I hope it helps as well. Let me know, how did it go.
Regards,

Use Calendar in Scheduling group for sharing between it's members."

Please clarify

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks for the responces,

i'm confused though can anybody break this down into steps as markdmac is saying i would need to invite as a resource and i wouldn't know how, and puzzledunix i'm sorry but i just don't understand what your trying to tell me.

Thanks again, and i would really appreciate if somebody could break this down a bit further.

When in Outlook, you create an appointment. Click the scheduling tab. In the list under your name type in the alias you created for your calendar. There is a little icon next to the person's name. Click this and you get the choices to invite someone as either mandatory, optional or resource.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks markdmac

i gave this a try but it's not quite what i'm looking for, basically i want one person to be logged into outlook with access to this public calendar, when that person puts an entry in for somebody in the public calendar it should put that entry into that users personal calendar. Each user is represented by his own coloured label for easy tracking.

The way you suggested would mean each individual user updating his own calendar and inviting the public calendar which at a push would perhaps do but it doesn't seem to bring the coloured label across from the personal calendar to the public one.

i hope this is a bit clearer on what the functionality i need is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back