Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up disaster recovery server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beambones

MIS
Feb 15, 2002
GB
Hi. Please can someone tell me a way in which I can have a second exchange server running should the primary one go down. ie. people will still be able to access all there email stuff from the backup server. I know it requires replication, but do I have to create a new site or join our existing one?

Actually several ways to approach this, but the bottom line is those mailboxes are on the server that just died; just having another server whether in same site or Org isn't going to be much help to the masses whose box resides on a downed server.

There is no simple answer, but to sum it all up: whatever you come up with; test the hell out of it!

Our no so elegent solution is nightly backups of our server to preserver as much as possible. Then we have a dual-boot server that we brought up one night when we switched our mail server off. It has the same name site, org, AND IP address. We recreated the IMC and made sure it sent and received emails. The we also set it up to dual boot so it normally runs as a secondary BDC, but if our mail server ever dies we unplug the real mail server from the network, boot up our recovery machine, restore last night's pub, priv, and dir to it, then fire up the exchange services. Sure we lose a few hours of email, but our tests show we can get it fully up in under 40 minutes! We then have time to pick through and deal with tranaction logs if we can get em from the dead server.

Note: though we didn't have to do this in our tests, usually you need to run isinteg /patch on the recovery server.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back